Skip to main content

Sections 2014, tears were shed...

I started out sections week with my coaches and myself freaking out, because I hadn't been at practice all week due to work. The only day I'd been at practice was the day before sections and only because I managed to find someone who was willing to switch shifts with me! There was a lot of stress going around that week. Okay, on now to the talk of sections!!

Some of our awesome cheerers and a couple of their amazing signs!!
Credit: Maija

Haha, "Ski like the Czechs are watching!" is my favorite sign!!
Credit: Shiloh

I was really stressed out, and terrified going into sections. I've worked hard the past two years and especially after last year when I hoped and hoped and just missed making it to state, I just couldn't stand it if I didn't make it. I literally pinned everything on this one day. The fear of not making it caused so much mental and physical stress that I just couldn't take it. I was so glad that the day had finally come to get it over with.

One of the last big hills on the course
Credit: Shiloh

We raced skate first and while skate is usually my stronger technique I did not feel my best going in. I was really tired and lethargic and the fact that there was what seemed to be two feet (slight exaggeration) of heavy fluffy snow with more falling every second! While the skate course is by far my favorite course ever, I can honestly say I resented it a bit that day. All those hills with all that snow and all those skiers. There was a new skier going out every fifteen seconds, so you were constantly with someone. Even though the conditions weren't the best I'm happy with how I did.
Sam showing some nice technique at the start of the classic
Credit: Shiloh

After the skate race I wound up exactly where I was last year. One place away and a thimble full of seconds away from making state. As you can probably guess I was a little uhh....well freaking out. To be in that position again after everything had gone so wrong last year seemed like an omen. A bad, bad omen sent from the devil himself.
Just chilling between races
Credit: Shiloh

The second and last race was classic, 3k up and 2k down. Now classic has never really been my strongest technique. In all honesty I kinda suck at classic. Yay. So I was right there on the brink of making it or of not making, with nothing but one person in my way. And that one person just so happened to be Solvieg, my team mate and competitor. Solvieg has gone to state in every sport she's tried. She's gone to state every year for skiing. She's basically hailed as queen. I had to pass the queen of our school in order to make it or really go for gold and pass the girl in front of her. Oh and not let anyone pass me. Ha. Haha. *violently shakes head back and forth*
Jaylynn #TeamBeauty
Credit: Shiloh

I managed to keep Solvieg in sight the entire time, but I never managed to catch her. Though I did manage to catch the girl in front of her! The problem was when a girl caught up to me and then passed me. It was right at the top before the start of the down hill and I was terrified. It's really hard to make that up on a downhill. Though I did have one chance to at least get close enough where we would be able to battle it out in the finish. There's this spot about halfway down where there's a slight uphill, turn, downhill and then one last biggish climb with a short plateau at the top. I went hard on that first uphill and really pushed myself on the second. I went all out and managed to catch up to the girl in front of me. We were just neck in neck at the top of the hill.
I don't know who you are, but I will find you and I
will marry you.
Credit: Shiloh

At the top of the hill there was a crowd of people ( it was a really good vantage point you could see people coming up and going down), and through all the cheering one guys voice stood out among them all. Mostly because he was right there and really loud, but also because of what he said. He yelled "ONLY ONE OF YOU WILL BE GOING TO STATE AND THE OTHER ONE WILL GO HOME CRYING!! WHO WILL IT BE!!" All I remember thinking is that I don't want to go home crying again this year. So I reached down deep inside and pushed myself harder than before.

For the second time in a row I crossed the finish line crying.
Look at that cheer!!
Credit: Shiloh

The only difference is that this year there was a smile on my face. I couldn't breath, couldn't see, and could barely stand, but you've never seen a bigger nor brighter smile on my face. Once I could move I made my way over to our bin and that's where things got really emotional. By that point the rest of the team had come in and those who had been watching came over and it was bad. They saw I was crying and smiling and they started crying and smiling and then the entire girls team became one big group hug of tears and happiness. I can't even begin to explain the feeling of absolute love that washed over me. I love my team more than anything and just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. We've really connected as a team this year and it's been amazing to be a part of it. I love each and every one of them.
Hans Viren coming in for the last 300-400 meters
Credit: Shiloh

It was a proud moment for everyone. I think Tony might have been the proudest of us all. He's been there from the very beginning. He was really the one to teach me to ski, the one who has made it possible for me to ski and train. He taught me how to roller ski and got me into summer and fall training. He told me I should try USSA, and not give up on my dreams, but while also keeping me grounded. He's the one who took me to the events, and coached me through them. He's been there through it all and he's never once given up on me, and the look on his face...Okay, I gotta go before I get all emotional!!
State Bound!! Me, Solvieg, Vasek, and Somer
Credit: Marlo

Thanks for reading and I'll post about state as soon as possible!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSU Meet Two

Well yesterdays meet was pretty interesting. For starters there were 29 schools crammed into one small building. That was horrible, it got very hot and very crowded fast. The best part was that my friend Maggie was there! Which also means that Colton was there. That was so awkward. Just an FYI this post is about the social aspects that went on during the meet and not so much the actual meet stuff. I'll start with Colton because the rest of it is just weird ... Anyways, Colton was there. I tried to avoid him as best as I could but due to the fact that he long jumps, or maybe it was triple jump I wasn't really paying attention, and that our camp was right next to the pits I saw a lot of him. Also I hung out at Maggie's team's camp and he's on her team. Turns out she doesn't have that high of an opinion of him either. It was really creepy because he kept looking at me, like every chance he got! Then he comes up tp me and accuses me of stalking him! Maggie and I w

JNQ at Mt. Itasca

Yes, I did another JNQ race, and this time it was at home. The day before the race I had a high school one. It was our first (and only) pursuit of the season and man was it a sad one. Most of the time either couldn't make it or was sick. Maggie showed up and wound up just going home. The two of us went out to do a warm up/see the course ski and after the first hill she was dying. That weekend she had an uber high fever and was just sick. I went and did the first race and just had to puke the entire time. Afterwards I did wind up puking a couple of times, and decided that I just shouldn't do the second race. Even though I was sick Friday I still decided to race on Saturday.I did the women's 5k and think I did decently. It was a tough course, well mostly it was just a tough beginning. This is what we did; the right horseshoe into the swamp loop, up the switch back climbed all the way up the way, did a loop up top, went down part of bunny hill connected to the service road,

First distance run in awhile...

KJ was gone today because of the Elite meet, and so he left us with a workout and put Amber in charge. Amber is a student at the college studying to become a physical educator  She's almost, but not quite, an assistant sprinting coach.  Some pictures from the Elite meet. Courtesy of KJ: The workout was just 4 laps with 100 yrd sprints on the straightaways, 10 100s with 40 second rests between. The weight room was locked and since Amber isn't an official coach she doesn't have a key and we couldn't workout. I don't think anyone was sad. That was the earliest the girls sprint team has ever finished. Usually we're the last ones there, because KJ just talks and talks. I decided that since I haven't really been training for the half-marathon well at all since track started that I should probably go for a run. Start gathering some miles up. WORST IDEA EVER, actually that's a lie. I've had worst ones. Like working out with Nick. I