Skip to main content

Sections 2014, tears were shed...

I started out sections week with my coaches and myself freaking out, because I hadn't been at practice all week due to work. The only day I'd been at practice was the day before sections and only because I managed to find someone who was willing to switch shifts with me! There was a lot of stress going around that week. Okay, on now to the talk of sections!!

Some of our awesome cheerers and a couple of their amazing signs!!
Credit: Maija

Haha, "Ski like the Czechs are watching!" is my favorite sign!!
Credit: Shiloh

I was really stressed out, and terrified going into sections. I've worked hard the past two years and especially after last year when I hoped and hoped and just missed making it to state, I just couldn't stand it if I didn't make it. I literally pinned everything on this one day. The fear of not making it caused so much mental and physical stress that I just couldn't take it. I was so glad that the day had finally come to get it over with.

One of the last big hills on the course
Credit: Shiloh

We raced skate first and while skate is usually my stronger technique I did not feel my best going in. I was really tired and lethargic and the fact that there was what seemed to be two feet (slight exaggeration) of heavy fluffy snow with more falling every second! While the skate course is by far my favorite course ever, I can honestly say I resented it a bit that day. All those hills with all that snow and all those skiers. There was a new skier going out every fifteen seconds, so you were constantly with someone. Even though the conditions weren't the best I'm happy with how I did.
Sam showing some nice technique at the start of the classic
Credit: Shiloh

After the skate race I wound up exactly where I was last year. One place away and a thimble full of seconds away from making state. As you can probably guess I was a little uhh....well freaking out. To be in that position again after everything had gone so wrong last year seemed like an omen. A bad, bad omen sent from the devil himself.
Just chilling between races
Credit: Shiloh

The second and last race was classic, 3k up and 2k down. Now classic has never really been my strongest technique. In all honesty I kinda suck at classic. Yay. So I was right there on the brink of making it or of not making, with nothing but one person in my way. And that one person just so happened to be Solvieg, my team mate and competitor. Solvieg has gone to state in every sport she's tried. She's gone to state every year for skiing. She's basically hailed as queen. I had to pass the queen of our school in order to make it or really go for gold and pass the girl in front of her. Oh and not let anyone pass me. Ha. Haha. *violently shakes head back and forth*
Jaylynn #TeamBeauty
Credit: Shiloh

I managed to keep Solvieg in sight the entire time, but I never managed to catch her. Though I did manage to catch the girl in front of her! The problem was when a girl caught up to me and then passed me. It was right at the top before the start of the down hill and I was terrified. It's really hard to make that up on a downhill. Though I did have one chance to at least get close enough where we would be able to battle it out in the finish. There's this spot about halfway down where there's a slight uphill, turn, downhill and then one last biggish climb with a short plateau at the top. I went hard on that first uphill and really pushed myself on the second. I went all out and managed to catch up to the girl in front of me. We were just neck in neck at the top of the hill.
I don't know who you are, but I will find you and I
will marry you.
Credit: Shiloh

At the top of the hill there was a crowd of people ( it was a really good vantage point you could see people coming up and going down), and through all the cheering one guys voice stood out among them all. Mostly because he was right there and really loud, but also because of what he said. He yelled "ONLY ONE OF YOU WILL BE GOING TO STATE AND THE OTHER ONE WILL GO HOME CRYING!! WHO WILL IT BE!!" All I remember thinking is that I don't want to go home crying again this year. So I reached down deep inside and pushed myself harder than before.

For the second time in a row I crossed the finish line crying.
Look at that cheer!!
Credit: Shiloh

The only difference is that this year there was a smile on my face. I couldn't breath, couldn't see, and could barely stand, but you've never seen a bigger nor brighter smile on my face. Once I could move I made my way over to our bin and that's where things got really emotional. By that point the rest of the team had come in and those who had been watching came over and it was bad. They saw I was crying and smiling and they started crying and smiling and then the entire girls team became one big group hug of tears and happiness. I can't even begin to explain the feeling of absolute love that washed over me. I love my team more than anything and just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. We've really connected as a team this year and it's been amazing to be a part of it. I love each and every one of them.
Hans Viren coming in for the last 300-400 meters
Credit: Shiloh

It was a proud moment for everyone. I think Tony might have been the proudest of us all. He's been there from the very beginning. He was really the one to teach me to ski, the one who has made it possible for me to ski and train. He taught me how to roller ski and got me into summer and fall training. He told me I should try USSA, and not give up on my dreams, but while also keeping me grounded. He's the one who took me to the events, and coached me through them. He's been there through it all and he's never once given up on me, and the look on his face...Okay, I gotta go before I get all emotional!!
State Bound!! Me, Solvieg, Vasek, and Somer
Credit: Marlo

Thanks for reading and I'll post about state as soon as possible!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

blame it on the warm weather

So on Thursday my friend Holly brought her project for art to ski practise (its a paer mache barbie) and put it by one of the walls because even though seasons just about over we're still decorating the girls side..So yesterday(which was fri) Im 30 min. late for practice (moms) and everyone else is out skiing and i walk into the room and the barbie's moved and scared the sh!t out of me. By the time I get back people are already coming back to the stadium to do sprints so I go do a quick warm up and stuff. I come back and everyone is in spandex and t-shirts. Well the spandex isnt surprising we girls do that all the time but the t shirts wow. I would've taken my jacket off but I ski in  t-shirt so I kept it on.  We splitt in to two teams and start. For those who dontt know what a sprint realy is it's basically a 100-200 yard dash in relay form on skis. It was really fun and one of the times we were in the lead Jirka (j=y) did this weird jumping thing where he just like...

UB Saturday

Today there was Upward Bound. We had TRiO day, which means that we visited BSU and took some sessions about college or preparing for college or careers, and partook in a college fair. This is how my day started. I woke up at 7:30  because Jake texted me good morning. The bus leaves the college at 8, I leave two miles away, my mom's at work and I'm still in my clothes from the day before with messy hair and craving a shower. 5 minutes later Jake is at my door. How'd I get ready in less than 5 minutes? I changed shirts, tossed a hoody over it, put my hair in a bun, and brushed my teeth at I found socks and packed  I wound up leaving a bunch of stuff at home, but I had my ipod which is all that really mattered. Bailey was there and so we sat together. She got to meet Colton and he complimented her on being chesty. I told him that I was the only one allowed to compliment her chest and Tim reprimanded him. Kinda. The guest speaker was funny and I liked the way he tie...

Does 2 hours count as an OD run?

Well if it does then I just did my first OD run. Btw, OD stands for Over Distance. I ran a total of 15.6 miles in 2hours 1minute and 8seconds. burned 1,467 calories, and managed not to hurt myself. Here's how it went: I started out from my house and ran along the lake to the fair grounds where I could enter the Mesabi Trail. Then I just ran along the trail for awhile in the cold, while it snowed, and was really windy. Then I decided I'd run along this branching of trail and  go to Deer River, it's only an additional 22miles I quickly lost the trail when it came out on a road and just turned around. From there I waved hi to a fisherman and his family and resumed running on the Mesabi Trail. Then I decided to follow another branch off to Gunn Park and from there run to my friend Max's. I was almost there when I realized  I was still only an hour in. So I did what anyone would do... I started running along random trails through the woods. I did come along a collapsed...