Skip to main content

MY FIRST STATE!!

So I had a little accident Monday before state...

At practice we were doing intervals, or pickups, I'm not really sure what to call them... Anyways, the plan was go hard up the service road easy on this turn thingy, work on your tuck down the roller coaster, go hard up the camel humps and tuck it down the service road back to the beginning. I was the first one outside and after a short warm up started right in.

Well I was tucking down the roller coaster and as I usually do, cut the inside corner at the bottom of the hill right where it cuts straight back up into an uphill to set me up for the next turn. What I didn't know was that it was uber icy at the bottom of the hill. My skis slid out from under me and I went down hard. Seriously, I left two deep dents in the ice, THE ICE, and slid from the bottom of the hill across to the other side of the trail and up to the top of it. I fell on the same side that I fell on when I had that biking accident, and the bruise on my leg that still hasn't healed (from three months ago!!) has a bruise of its own. Oh, and I also bruised my ribs and might have fractured one.

On to state!! The weather was pretty nice and unlike at sections everyone was pretty relaxed. Oh, also my mom was there. It was the first time she's seen me skied all year and the second or third time since I've started skiing, so I was both excited and nervous. No one even knew what she looked like. My coaches even had to ask me for her name. I mean who wouldn't be happy to have their family member there to watch. Not that I don't love the other parents out there cheering and stuff, but it's not the same. At the same time I really didn't want her there. I have my own thing, and little quirks that I do before races, and my mom kinda gets in the way. She means well, but...

Well the skate race was decent. I felt a lot better than I had at sections (minus the whole rib thing), and went hard. Oh, wait. Now that I think about it, it was state that had a ton of snow not sections! Oops...It was like skiing through mashed potatoes, and when it came to passing people I went balls deep in snow!! AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!! I had to put that in there, I've been waiting for an opportunity to say that! hahaah, I'm so mature. Anyways, yeah it was tough and wet and tiring, and there were people everywhere and such wow. I somehow managed to ski my way into 49th place though!!

After the skate portion my ribs were killing me!! Moving hurt, breathing hurt, life hurt. So Allen went and taped me up, literally, there's so much KT tape on my ribs. I took a nice ice covered nap afterwards, and then got ready to get out there and classic it up!!

Classic hurt. Bad. Both my ribs, and the rest of my body. I went out and I tried my best, and once again I was passed. This time by five or six people...This time Mrs. Schrock was at the top of the hill and was the one yelling. And running. And shouting places at me. And times. And really yelling. I sped up just to get away, she scared me. Little by little I managed to catch up to those girls and by the time we came into the stadium pass them. So I wound up placing 49th over all in state out of 120. While that's exciting, I'm even more happy about what my coaches said and did.

After the skate race my coach Petra told me how I looked like a completely different skier. That my technique was spot on and I just looked great. Petra never gives out that kind of praise. I was smiling so big my face nearly split in two. Then, THEN, I received a text from her that night saying that she was proud of me and I went above and beyond what was expected AND that I made her very happy. I just about died. That's what I really wanted, was to make my coaches proud. More than anything I want to make my coaches proud. By doing well and making them proud is how I let them know that all that they do for me isn't wasted and that I really appreciate it. Words just aren't enough and this is how I feel they can really know I appreciate it.

Petra wasn't the only one proud, I'm pretty sure Tony was tearing up, and Alan, Craig and Marlo were all smiles and hugs and joy. I love my coaches. I love my team. I love skiing. I can't imagine my life without all three of them. I'd be a completely different person. Probably a bit more troublesome, and less driven. Actually I would be more troublesome!!

I'll have to add pictures later because they're on my Ipod, which is currently missing....ugh

Thanks for reading!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

blame it on the warm weather

So on Thursday my friend Holly brought her project for art to ski practise (its a paer mache barbie) and put it by one of the walls because even though seasons just about over we're still decorating the girls side..So yesterday(which was fri) Im 30 min. late for practice (moms) and everyone else is out skiing and i walk into the room and the barbie's moved and scared the sh!t out of me. By the time I get back people are already coming back to the stadium to do sprints so I go do a quick warm up and stuff. I come back and everyone is in spandex and t-shirts. Well the spandex isnt surprising we girls do that all the time but the t shirts wow. I would've taken my jacket off but I ski in  t-shirt so I kept it on.  We splitt in to two teams and start. For those who dontt know what a sprint realy is it's basically a 100-200 yard dash in relay form on skis. It was really fun and one of the times we were in the lead Jirka (j=y) did this weird jumping thing where he just like...

UB Saturday

Today there was Upward Bound. We had TRiO day, which means that we visited BSU and took some sessions about college or preparing for college or careers, and partook in a college fair. This is how my day started. I woke up at 7:30  because Jake texted me good morning. The bus leaves the college at 8, I leave two miles away, my mom's at work and I'm still in my clothes from the day before with messy hair and craving a shower. 5 minutes later Jake is at my door. How'd I get ready in less than 5 minutes? I changed shirts, tossed a hoody over it, put my hair in a bun, and brushed my teeth at I found socks and packed  I wound up leaving a bunch of stuff at home, but I had my ipod which is all that really mattered. Bailey was there and so we sat together. She got to meet Colton and he complimented her on being chesty. I told him that I was the only one allowed to compliment her chest and Tim reprimanded him. Kinda. The guest speaker was funny and I liked the way he tie...

Tell me I can't

Two years ago I set an impossible goal, and while I didn't make it last year, I made it to state this year. I'm not exaggerating when I say no one thought I would ever come this far, but I set a goal and I worked hard for it. I know that to some, maybe even all, of you it doesn't seem like much. Here I am going on about making it to state and how hard it was and how rewarding it has been, when the Olympics are going on. I'm actually watching the men's slalom as I write this! But to me this is a big deal. This is my fifth year skiing, and it's been a long a road. My coaches love to remind me of how terrible I was when I first started! I mean they really have a good laugh at my expense (not that I care much, it was pretty funny). So to have come this far in what seems to me like a relatively short time, it's amazing. The reason why I'm rambling on about this is because I want to set another goal. Actually a couple of goals. What I learned is that if you...