Skip to main content

A PT, an engineer, a nurse and an athlete walk into the doctor's....

No, it's not a joke. That was how today went. I had a date with a Dr. Wheeler today in Duluth and brought along Tony my coach/engineer, my nurse mom, and my friend/mentor/bike coach/PT Alan.

Tony rode with us and we met Alan down there since he was teaching a class that day. It was an interesting ride down. Tony and my mom have just like never talked or really ever seen each other. All she knows about him is that we spend a lot of time together training, that his wife is really nice and that Josh (my older brother) anjd his son used to be friends. When Tony and I are together it's usually for skiing/training purposes. We haven't really been in a social situation like this before, so it was slightly odd.

The way down was nice because we were able to talk about USSA racing, about high school racing this year, and a little about training. Tony and my mom also were able to talk, which I liked because it's always nice to have your coach and mom know each other on more than just a "Hey there" level. I mean if I'm going to be traveling with him (he said if we wanted him to he'd take Maggie and myself to the races and whatnot), it'd probably be a good idea for me madre to know and trust  him better.

Back to the doctor's! So basically I don't just have asthma, and what asthma I do have isn't actually that bad. It's only the cause for maybe 10% of my respiratory problems. So...yay? Oh ya, the other 90%. Turns out I also have a vocal chord problem. It's a bit dysfunctional and tends to restrict, I think that's how it goes. I'm not 100% sure because the doctor and my mom were throwing out medical terms and then Alan would pipe in with his medical terms and I'd just be sitting there with my head bouncing back and forth between the three like I was at a tennis match. What I do know is that I have to go to a vocal chord therapist person and learn how to control them....I also have to start taking two more asthma medications on top of my inhaler. *sigh*

Oh! The funniest thing happened!! So my mom went to go find a bathroom and Tony went to go get Alan ( he was a little late and Tony went to show him where our room was). Well while they were gone the nurse had me change into a gown, but said I could keep on my running shorts and sports bra. Nothing all of Grand Rapids, most of Duluth, parts of Yellowstone and tons of other people/places hasn't already seen. Just as I'm attempting to tie the gown Tony walks in with Alan in tow, takes one look at me and practically runs out of the room. I nearly collapsed I was laughing so hard!  I called them back in and Alan started giving Tony crap. Turns out when the girls' team starts striping Tony gets really uncomfortable. By striping I mean down to sports bras and shorts. It's probably a good thing he had a son, I don't think he would've known what to do with a daughter! It's also probably a good thing Petra does the summer/fall training. We're in shirtless more often than not.

Then the most awkward thing happened. We went shoe shopping. With my male coach. I felt, and still feel so bad. We wouldn't have done it if not for that fact that my shoes were my running shoes for 3-4 years before I got new running shoes and they became my school shoes. At this point they have holes, the laces are shreds/won't untie, the tread's worn completely down, and the cushion/support is gone. I've used them a bit too much and they're worn flat. I'm sad to see them go, they were very comfortable, but it was quite necessary. I think I'll hang them on my wall. You don't know what my wall looks like do you?! Oh man, I'll have to make a video (I'm thinking of actually doing stuff with my YouTube channel).

Soon enough the shopping was over and we went out to eat. We went to Buffalo Wild Wings, and ate some great food! I had the "wild" boneless wings, Tony had the "classic" and mom had the mango or something. They made of me though because I grabbed a coloring book and then asked for crayons so I could color. Is it really that odd for an almost 17 year old girl to ask for crayons and a children's coloring book?

Me, Bailey, Sara, Autumn, and Bethani at the beginning of the summer.
(Literally. We had just come from graduation)
Thanks for reading!! I'm off to go for a run! (Okay, after this episode. I LOVE Supernatural!!!!!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

blame it on the warm weather

So on Thursday my friend Holly brought her project for art to ski practise (its a paer mache barbie) and put it by one of the walls because even though seasons just about over we're still decorating the girls side..So yesterday(which was fri) Im 30 min. late for practice (moms) and everyone else is out skiing and i walk into the room and the barbie's moved and scared the sh!t out of me. By the time I get back people are already coming back to the stadium to do sprints so I go do a quick warm up and stuff. I come back and everyone is in spandex and t-shirts. Well the spandex isnt surprising we girls do that all the time but the t shirts wow. I would've taken my jacket off but I ski in  t-shirt so I kept it on.  We splitt in to two teams and start. For those who dontt know what a sprint realy is it's basically a 100-200 yard dash in relay form on skis. It was really fun and one of the times we were in the lead Jirka (j=y) did this weird jumping thing where he just like...

UB Saturday

Today there was Upward Bound. We had TRiO day, which means that we visited BSU and took some sessions about college or preparing for college or careers, and partook in a college fair. This is how my day started. I woke up at 7:30  because Jake texted me good morning. The bus leaves the college at 8, I leave two miles away, my mom's at work and I'm still in my clothes from the day before with messy hair and craving a shower. 5 minutes later Jake is at my door. How'd I get ready in less than 5 minutes? I changed shirts, tossed a hoody over it, put my hair in a bun, and brushed my teeth at I found socks and packed  I wound up leaving a bunch of stuff at home, but I had my ipod which is all that really mattered. Bailey was there and so we sat together. She got to meet Colton and he complimented her on being chesty. I told him that I was the only one allowed to compliment her chest and Tim reprimanded him. Kinda. The guest speaker was funny and I liked the way he tie...

Tell me I can't

Two years ago I set an impossible goal, and while I didn't make it last year, I made it to state this year. I'm not exaggerating when I say no one thought I would ever come this far, but I set a goal and I worked hard for it. I know that to some, maybe even all, of you it doesn't seem like much. Here I am going on about making it to state and how hard it was and how rewarding it has been, when the Olympics are going on. I'm actually watching the men's slalom as I write this! But to me this is a big deal. This is my fifth year skiing, and it's been a long a road. My coaches love to remind me of how terrible I was when I first started! I mean they really have a good laugh at my expense (not that I care much, it was pretty funny). So to have come this far in what seems to me like a relatively short time, it's amazing. The reason why I'm rambling on about this is because I want to set another goal. Actually a couple of goals. What I learned is that if you...